Monday, March 7, 2011

My Anticipated iOS 5 Features - USB Mass Storage

I'm going to start off a series of topics on the upcoming iOS 5 features which I very much anticipate.

First off, "USB Mass Storage".

Now, the closest competitor, Android OS is able to mount its file system(SD Card) as a standard "USB Mass Storage" device all along.

Even at the current version 4.2.1 of iOS, Apple is still not opening up this very much needed feature.


I take it that Apple is not going to compromise system instability by opening up filesystem access.

I very much hope that in iOS 5, Apple at least dedicate a single directory, say "/var/media/massstorage" and has its API allowing applications to have access to this particular directory.

Then, allow "USB Mass Storage" capability which points the root to this directory, so that users can copy/read files using the usual USB plug in.

In other words, do not restrict file transfer to just PC iTunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment