Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thoughts on Car Accidents in Singapore

So, I was driving as usual to work as one of the many early birds.
Many of us came out early in the hope of avoiding paying the ERP (Electronic Road Pricing) when it starts when rush hour in that area begins.

It would be a usual "free entrance" for me as I would have gone through the ERP gantry before it starts charging.

But alas, it was not as expected today. I drive on 4 expressways every morning to work: PIE -> KPE -> ECP -> CTE

This day, I encountered an accident on PIE, KPE and ECP!
3 car accidents on the same morning at the same time. Obviously I got charged unwillingly at the ERP gantry!


And I wonder why car accidents happen so frequently in the past months. I encountered car accidents like once a week for the past one month or two.

I'm guessing one cause of it is the increase in the number of cars in recent months (before the authority decided to reduce the COE quota).

Let me put it this way:

More cars on the road ->
congestion during peak hours ->
increased ERP charges and lengthened operating hours at the ERP gantries ->
drivers rushing to beat the ERP gantries before they start charging ->
more accident-prone



In my opinion, increasing ERP rates and lengthen the operating time is not killing the root cause for car accidents and congestion. Reducing COE quota is a good one, and I applaud that.

However imagine this:
Reducing COE quota ->
Less people owning cars ->
More congestion on public transport!

My conclusion and opinion:
Ultimately, reducing COE is not a perfect solution. Slow down the increase in population is a good solution. No, I'm not saying reducing the birth rate. Birth rate should still increase. You know what I mean....


No comments:

Post a Comment